Dienstag, 5. Mai 2015

Traditional Austrian - my way: Kaiserschmarrn with plums and cinnamon

Kaiserschmarrn is a traditional Austrian sweet dish. It is served warm with either apple sauce or stewed plums (Zwetschkenröster). It is an ideal store cupboard meal that can be scrambled together and eaten any time of the day. In restaurants they usually put it in the dessert section of their menu. When I grew up we would get it for lunch as the main dish, though.
Since it is really easy to make and very loved by everyone in my family, this was one of the first recipes I experimented with in order to make a healthier version also my sunshine could enjoy.

When I first shared this recipe on my German blog it was late summer. I was inspired by the variety of ripe fruit available at the time. 
Plums are currently not in season and I really prefer to buy seasonal fruit and vegetables, so I just adapt the recipe and use whatever fruit is available. This Kaiserschmarrn is also great with apples, different berries, peaches, apricots or cherries. You can even replace it with raisins (which is actually the traditional addition) or other dried fruit. Try whichever fruit you fancy and let me know about your variation!


RECIPE
serves 3-4 people

Ingredients
2 cups wholemeal flour (I use spelt)
1 cup plant milk, eg. almond or oat milk
1 cup water
1 tbsp agave 
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp cider vinegar
1/4 tsp of cinnamon
1 pinch of salt
2 cups plums or any other fruit you like 
1 tbsp oil 

Method
1. Put the flour in a bowl and add the plant milk, water, agave, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Mix it well until you have a thick dough.


2. Chop the plums (or other fruit if necessary) into little cubes and stir them into the dough.


3. Add the vinegar and stir it quickly into the mixture.

4. Heat up a pan and add the oil.

5. Put all the dough into the pan and cover it with a lid or tin foil. Let it cook for 5-10 minutes. When the Kaiserschmarrn is golden brown on the bottom it is ready to be flipped.

6. To turn the Kaiserschmarrn I place it with the already baked side on a plate, cover it with the pan and turn it quickly to put the Kaiserschmarrn back into the pan with the uncooked side on the bottom. 


7. As soon as both sides are nicely golden, tear the "cake" into bite size peaces with two forks. Let it bake for another few minutes stiring it gently so that all sides become golden.

That is when the magic happens. The sugar inside the fruit caramelizes and adds that particular mmmmhhhhh factor to the Kaiserschmarrn.


Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen